Sunday, October 6, 2013

Another chapter

Okay, it's been about a decade later. I know. Lots has changed. Grad school in the bay area is going well and I got a new job. Switching groups sure got things off to a good start. Otherwise, I'd say things are fairly normal. Still a bit of an uphill battle in life, I suppose. Everything in school, work, gymnastics, my relationship, and studies is going fairly well. However, my friendships on the other hand... Well, we can just say the world is a crazy place...

I can't yet decide if the odd suffering is from me getting older and more intollerant of the inability to function at tasks with the mental capacity above that of a 5 year old, or if it's that the people existing in this period of my life suck more than the ones in the last chapter. Regardless, it's filled all sorts of joys. I can say we've hit a point where my desire to either take a nap, or read a text book is significantly larger than my desire to go out. 


Now, you'd think that this may be fairly conducive for my studying. Unfortunately, instead it's cause me to fall into a state of constant frustration and a complete inability to function socially with any sort of interest. I find myself forcefully acting like I have something to say, or if all else fails, pretend to have interest in listening. Instead I feel like a lifeless coffee dumpster with a constant blank look of confusion on people's inability to be socially considerate
 tipped with daily spurts of angry confusion. How is it possible someone thinks it's okay to say that? Wait, did you really just do that? CAN'T ANYBODY SEE HOW DYSFUNCTIONAL YOU ARE? I feel like I am the only one who sees that the way some of these individuals are acting is really inappropriate.

The newest addition to the frustration is the gymnastics club. A place filled with a good fraction of children and princesses might be the best way it's described. Okay, but really. There are some wonderful people. However...a few rough seeds. There are about eleven of us that "run it". However, in the last month only three have done anything at all. This goes from working a single fundraiser to even working their opening shift. The last few times we've come up short on people to work our fundraiser, I've had to leave tutoring early to come save it. Where was everyone else? Two were at a party, another was out drinking, one was in SF with a buddy, etc.
Is there some sort of thing I've missed? Is the term volunteer now synonymous with "come if you fucking feel like it, but not if you'd rather be somewhere else"? So, I had the bright idea to confront it when, after bailing on several shifts and all the fundraisers, people tried to say they can't make an officer's meeting on a Sunday. I told everyone that I was feeling overworked and needed a break. Patrick was kind enough to send out a mass message calling me "obnoxious".
Clearly my work is appreciated. If you aren't here to help this place run, then clearly I don't understand why you'd care to have a position running the club... No one seems to complain that we have tons of bodies to take up spots and serve no other function.
Talked to my lovely mother today. She reassured me this is just another interesting point that will come to pass. She gave me her lovely words from the wise and the rest of my night came to pass. Here's hoping for just a few more positive changes in life.(and soon)

Until then, I really enjoyed this article:

It's my bible for now. It'll be some work, but I am up for the challenge. Until next time, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment